COLLEGE STATION, Texas–Several of the Department’s undergraduates received recognition and awards at a special recognition reception on the first floor of the Heep Center on Wednesday, May 3.
Students and faculty members were first treated to food outside Room 103 before the main program started and juniors Tammy Starr and Dayvion Adams welcomed everyone to the event.
After the welcome, guest speaker Dr. Jeffery Tomberlin said a few words of encouragement to the graduating seniors during the keynote address.
Adams then reported highlights from the Undergraduate Entomology Student Organization’s activities during the year while Tammy Starr reported highlights from the Aggie Forensic and Investigative Sciences Organization.
Dr. Pete Teel then announced several scholarships during the awards presentation portion of the reception.
This year’s scholarship recipients are:
- Katie Rowe – Burruss McDaniel/Entomology Systematics Scholarship
- Lindsay Akers – Roger Walker Meola Memorial Scholarship
- Jeremy Arnold – Fowden G. and Katherine G. Maxwell Scholarship
- Franchesca Rodriguez – Honorah A. Dore Scholarship
- Brice Phillips – Paul Truman Riherd Memorial Scholarship
- Marina Connor – Dr. Manning A. Price Scholarship
- Emily Parsoneault – Dr. Micky Eubanks Outstanding Faculty Scholarship
- Mya Gates – Dial and Eva Martin Memorial Scholarship
- Jacob Underwood – Perry L. Adkisson Scholarship
- Calli Allison- Len P. Quattrochi Memorial Scholarships
The 2017-2018 cohorts of the Department’s Entomology Scholars Society also announced. The Entomology Scholars Society was developed to help current students to expand their leadership and outreach skills though the enhancement of various departmental events. Members serve as liaisons between faculty, staff, and prospective students and represent the Department by serving as hosts to prospective students, parents, and other campus visitors.
The 2017-2018 Scholars are:
- Dayvion Adams
- Franchesca Rodriguez
- Fatimah Bouderdaben
- Mya Gates
- Nicholas Richter
- Kejaun Tate
Dr. Jim Woolley received the Outstanding Professor of the Year award while Ashleigh Faris received Outstanding Teaching Assistant for Forensics while Chloe Hawkings received the Outstanding Teaching Assistant for Entomology.
The 2017-2018 officers for both AFIS and UESO were announced during the end of the ceremony.
AFIS officers are:
- Tammy Starr – President
- Fatimah Bouderdaben – Vice President
- Adriana Peterson – Treasurer
- Katie McLeod – Secretary
- Mya Gates-Historian
- Skylar Huddleston – Activities Coordinator
UESO officers are:
- Isaac Luna – President
- Jefferey Barbosa – Vice President
- Myra Rodgers – Treasurer
- Katie Rowe-Webmaster/Outreach Coordinator