Congratulations to everyone that was recognized during the 23rd Annual Undergraduate Recognition Banquet that was held at the 7F Lodge on April 11.
The evening started with Fatimah Bouderdaben and Katie Rowe introducing everyone and recognizing special guests and banquet organizers. Bouderdaben and Rowe gave accounts of the activities the Aggie Forensic and Investigative Sciences and Undergraduate Entomology Student organizations have done throughout the year.
Former Forensics student Michelle Jonika and current Ph.D. student Joanie King served as the keynote speakers. Jonika and King spoke about their experiences in college and provided tips and encouragement for them to use during the rest of their time at college and while looking for a career path.
Several awards were given during the end of the banquet starting with the scholarships, including the following:
- Perry L. Adkisson Scholarship: Marina Conner
- Dial and Eva Martin Memorial Scholarship: Carla De Loera
- Micky Eubanks Outstanding Faculty Scholarship: Harlee Schneider
- Manning A. Price Scholarship: Jared Salin
- Honorah A. Doré Scholarship: Jennifer Iglesias
- Fowden G. and Katherine G. Maxwell Scholarship: Myrah Rogers
- Burrus McDaniel Systematics Scholarship: Emile Fierro Morel
- Len P. Quattrochi Memorial Scholarship: Jordan Cornell
- Department of Entomology Scholarship: Samuel Scriven, Alexandra Devany, Lyann Chen, Samantha Raygoza, and Samantha Franklin
The 2019-2020 Entomology Scholars Society also were announced after the scholarships. The Entomology Scholars Society is an organization developed to help current students expand their leadership and outreach skills through the enhancement of departmental functions.
Scholars serve as liaisons between faculty, staff and prospective students. Throughout the year, scholars represent the Department and its program by serving as hosts to prospective students, parents and other campus visitors.
The 2019-2020 Scholars are:
- Haley Gavranovic
- Rachel McNeal
- Carla De Loera
- Heather Kavaloski
- Franchesca Rodriguez
- Harlee Schneider
- Cori McDougal
Dr. Adrienne Brundage received the Professor of the Year Award for Entomology and Dr. Aaron Tarone received the Professor of the Year for Forensics. Ph.D. student Ashley Tessnow received the TA of the Year for Entomology while Ph.D. student Jennifer Rhinesmith-Carranza received TA of the Year for Forensics.
The 2019-2010 officers were also announced for both the Aggie Forensic and Investigative Sciences Organization and the Undergraduate Entomology Student Organization.
Aggie Forensic and Investigative Sciences Organization:
- Andrew Chapman – President
- Abigail Drago – Vice President
- Heather Hockersmith – Treasurer
- Raven Johnson – Secretary
- William Walford – Treasurer
- Rachel McNeal and Kayla Butterfield –Co chairs of Entomology Banquet Planning Committee
Undergraduate Entomology Student Organization:
- Franchesca Rodriguez – President
- Ragan Miller – Secretary and Vice President
- Myrah Rogers – Treasurer
- Haley Gavranovic – Outreach Coordinator and Webmaster
- Allie Byrd – Banquet Chair