Diversity in entomology
Research experiences for students from Prairie View A&M University, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, Texas Southern University, and University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
The Department of Entomology Research and Education Experiences for Undergraduates (REEU) program began in 2021 with support from the USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA), through the Agriculture and Food Research Initiative (AFRI). The Entomology REEU program Diversity in Entomology is specifically directed at undergraduate students from Prairie View A&M University (PVAMU), Texas A&M University-Kingsville (TAMUK), Texas Southern University (TSU), and University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV).
Our goals with the program are:
- Provide research experiences to improve critical and creative thinking, and communication skills of undergraduate students from PVAMU, TAMUK, TSU, and UTRGV, and;
- Train graduates with top, research and problem-solving skills for competitive graduate programs, and the agricultural, food, and renewable natural resources jobs markets through the above research experiences
The project’s objectives are to:
- Provide experiential learning opportunities through faculty-guided scientific research to academically qualified, underrepresented, undergraduate students from PVAMU, TAMUK, TSU, and UTRGV;
- Train those students in the application of the scientific method, from research question formulation to presentation of experimental results to the scientific community;
- Empower those students to successfully pursue STEM-intensive careers through hands-on participation in scientific research, engagement in creative and analytical thinking activities, and appreciation for the importance of diversity and inclusion for effective and efficient problem-solving practices, and;
- Create a sustained, student community of practice of science, including: a) coaching sessions to reflect on and measure project impacts; b) virtual conferences where students will share their projects with students in other universities, and; c) a website to share those presentations and other project products.
For inquiries or to begin an application, see our opportunities
This program is supported by USDA-NIFA Grant 2021-67037-34655